Today is the Chinese New Year. Here are some fun facts on the most important celebration in the Chinese calendar.
– The Chinese year 4712 (2014) is the Year of the Horse
– People born in horse years are cheerful, skillful with money, perceptive, witty, talented and good with their hands
– At Chinese New Year celebrations people wear red clothes, decorate with poems on red paper, and give children “lucky money” in red envelopes
– Red symbolizes fire, which according to legend can drive away bad luck
– Fireworks are a huge part of the celebrations. They believe the crackling sound drives away evil spirits
– The Lantern Festival is a huge part of the new year celebration.
– A bit of fragrance clings to the hand that gives flowers.
– A gem is not polished without rubbing, nor a man perfected without trials.
– Dig the well before you are thirsty.
– If you don’t want anyone to know, don’t do it.
– He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.
Have a great day.