A few fun facts about summer:
- The first modern Olympic Games were held in the summer in 1896 in Athens, Greece.
- The first day of summer is between June 20th and June 22nd every year. The first day of summer is called the summer solstice, and the day varies due to the Earth’s rotation not exactly reflecting our calendar year.
- The last day of summer is September 20th.
- Watermelon is one of summer’s best summer treats. Did you know that watermelons are not a fruit, but a vegetable instead? They belong to the cucumber family of vegetables.
- The Eiffel tower actually grows in the heat of the summer. Due to the iron expanding, the tower grows about 6 inches every summer.
- If you love ice cream, the summer season should be your favorite. July is national ice cream month.
- Another interesting fact about summer is that television shows used to only be reruns during the summer months. The idea being that everyone was outside enjoying the weather.
- A June fun fact is that the month of June is named after the Roman goddess Juno.
- The first women’s bathing suit was created in the 1800’s. It came with a pair of bloomers.
- The “dog days of summer” refer to the dates from July 3rd to August 11th. They are named so after the Sirius the Dog Star. This star is located in the constellation of Canis Major.
- Frisbees, invented in the 1870’s as a pie plate, but in the 1940’s, college students began throwing them around. They have since stopped being used for pie plates and are now a summertime staple.
- For a July fun fact, Roman general Marc Antony named the month of July after Julius Caesar.
- July is national blueberry month.
- The longest day of the year is on the summer solstice.
- Mosquitos are most prevalent during summer months. Mosquitos have been on earth for more than 30 million years.
- Most theme and water parks are on a summer seasonal schedule. Most amusement parks have a full time season from Memorial Day to Labor Day.
- August was named after Julius Caesar’s nephew. He had received the title of “Augustus” which means “reverend”.
- The first National Spelling Bee was held on June 17th, 1825.
- More thunderstorms occur during summer than any other time of year. They are also take place more commonly in the south east of England.
- Ice pops were invented in 1905 by an 11 year old boy.
Have a great summer!
Top picture, L toR: JonJon Suggs, Kim Wright, Katrina McGee, Tiffany Johnson and Luke Montgomery
Bottom left picture: Luke Montgomery and “Elvis”
Bottom right picture: Tiffany Johnson, “Elvis” and Katrina McGee
THANK YA, THANK YA VERY MUCH!!!
Fun was had by all of the participants in this past Saturday’s, Running with the King 5k Run/Walk in Tupelo. Congratulations to each of you! – Luke
“As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.”
– John F. Kennedy
Mauricio Avile, Manager at Choice Pawn in Louisville, Kentucky was happy to let his customer and her autistic daughter set up an Autism Fundraiser table to sell her homemade wares.
Did you know …
- Autism now affects 1 in 68 children and 1 in 42 boys
- Autism prevalence figures are growing
- Autism is one of the fastest-growing developmental disorders in the U.S.
- Autism costs a family $60,000 a year on average
- Boys are nearly five times more likely than girls to have autism
- There is no medical detection or cure for autism
For more information go to autismspeaks.org
We are now accepting resumes for the Office Manager position in Holly Springs, MS. Interested candidates please send your resume to Will Dobson at email@example.com.
Money Matters, Holly Springs, MS
We are looking for an energetic, friendly, customer service oriented team member to manage the Holly Springs Money Matters office. As the Office Manager you will develop your office by creating great customer experiences while impacting office growth. As a Money Matters leader you are performance driven and will assist in the growth and development of Money Matters employees.
Using your past experience you will:
Developing strategies to achieve your office’s financial, operational, and customer-service goals, while addressing the office’s unique strengths and challenges.
- Oversee the development of the assistant manager: motivate, coach, and strengthen team members.
- Serve as a resource: provide expertise on key customer issues, store operations, and company policies and procedures
- 1+ years of experience in a customer service oriented role
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and problem solving skills
- In depth knowledge of Company Policy and Procedures
- In depth understanding of the P&L
- Ability to influence P&L positivity
- Ability to train new employees
Join the MEI Management Team Saturday, June 4, 2016
Running with the King 5k (3.1 miles)
Tupelo, Veteran’s Park
Prizes will be awarded to the MEI employees with the two F-A-S-T-E-S-T and S--L–O–W-E-S–T times!!!
Register at racesonline.com
Race Starts at 7:30am
Let’s get FIT and HEALTHY in 2016!!!
Through May 27, 2016 – $20
May 28, 2016 through June 3, 2016 – $25
June 4, 2016 – RACE DAY – $30
*Must pre-register to be guaranteed a t-shirt* No refunds of registration fees. Rain or Shine Event.
We had loads of FUN at the inaugural MEI Spring Fling this past Saturday.
LOTS of laughs were had and LOTS of prizes were given.
We hope you enjoyed YOUR day! Thank you for all you do to make MEI a success.
Looking forward to even more fun and laughs next year! – Luke
Click on the link below to see a few pictures:
Tomorrow is our inaugural MEI SPRING FLING!!!
12:00pm – 4:00pm
655 Rutherford Road
Registration OPENS at 11:30am
FUN, GAMES, MUSIC AND PRIZES!!!
Don’t forget to bring your blankets, chairs and sunscreen. Bring your skateboards too!!! There is a super COOL skate zone inside Ballard Park!
Looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow.